Having a hard time cutting back on sugar? I hope these statistics help. As Nietzsche rightly remarked, “He who has a strong enough why can bear almost any how.”
Our why is now disturbingly clear…
The Top 10 Most Shocking Reasons to Avoid Sugar
- The rate of obesity has more than doubled since 1980.
- There are now about as many overweight people alive as there were total people alive a century ago.
- More than 40 million children under 5 are overweight.
- Childhood obesity is now the No. 1 health concern among U.S. parents, topping drug abuse and smoking.
- The rate of diabetes and pre-diabetes has increased about 100,000 percent in the last 100 years.
- Diet- and lifestyle-related diseases have overtaken tobacco as the leading cause of death in the U.S. and account for over $190 billion a year in health care spending.
- Obesity is shortening average life spans more than accidents, homicides and suicides combined.
- About one in three American kids are overweight or obese.
- Overweight children have a 70 percent chance of struggling with excess body fat for the rest of their lives.
- Thanks to the obesity and diabetes epidemics, for the first time in U.S. history, today’s children
Please be the change we need to see in the world. Eat real food (e.g., whole plants and humanely-raised animals vs. something a corporation engineered and stuffed with sugar) and help kids to do the same. The videos below will help you get started.