A favourite Bulgarian dish for those chilly winter days
- 3/4 lb (350gms) lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb (250gms) lean ground pork
- 1 large cauliflower cut into florets and the stalk cubed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup crushed garlic
- 3 large fresh tomatoes, finely chopped
- 4 large eggs (beaten)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped oregano or chubritza (see note below)
- 4 teaspoons flour
- 2ozs (60gms) butter
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a deep pan, brown ground meats together in butter.
Add the onion, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper, cook for another 5 minutes.
While this is cooking, mix eggs, yogurt, feta, and corn flour (or your favourite thickener) well.
Mix ground meat, cauliflower, tomato, parsley together, and place in baking dish, and pour egg mixture over top.
Sprinkle green onion on top.
Bake for 1-hr covered at 350º. Then 1/2-hr uncovered to brown all the dish before serving.
Note: You can use chubritza instead of oregano. (much better). Serve with a mayonnaise based cucumber salad, and boiled carrots.
7gms carbs per serving